Challenge Charter School strictly enforces our Dress Code Policy. The appropriateness of clothing & accessories is at the discretion of CCS Administration. If you are unsure if an item is appropriate, please have it approved in advance since inappropriate or distracting accessories will be confiscated & the school staff may and will send students home who are in violation of the school uniform policy as it is defined & enforced by Administration.
All uniform clothing (except where noted) must be purchased from Dennis Uniform Co.
Please refer to the Dennis Uniform / Challenge Charter School catalog for approved styles and selections, and when making all of your uniform purchases.
- Dennis store
2716 N. 68th St. Suite #4
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
- Online at www.dennisuniform.com; Enter Challenge Charter School or school code QGB, and our schools unique uniform information will appear
- By phone 1.800.854.6951
(Dennis National Customer Service)
- Mail or fax order form from Challenge Charter School Catalog to:
135 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97214
If you haven't already, we encourage you to visit Hopscotch Children's Consignment store, at its convenient location on the northwest corner of 59th Avenue and Greenway Road. Hopscotch has agreed to devote an area of their store for Challenge Charter School families to "consign" and/or "purchase" gently used Dennis Uniforms.
Hopscotch will make the final determination of what they are able to accept for consignment, but listed here are a few selling guidelines. Clothing should be:
- freshly laundered (within one week of bringing it in) and odor-free.
- folded and wrinkle-free.
- free of lint and animal hair.
- in excellent condition. Please do not bring in anything with stains, tears, missing buttons, broken zippers, or that is pilled or faded.
Hopscotch's usual consignment rate is 50% cash or 55% store credit after an item is sold. However, families will be offered immediate store credit (on CCS Dennis school uniforms only) of 50% of resale price.
This is a great way for families to exchange uniforms between each other!
Hopscotch Children's Consignment
5930 W. Greenway Rd. #16
Glendale, AZ 85306
- BAGGY CLOTHING IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!
- All school clothing must be no more than one size larger than the student!
- Uniforms/jackets that are too large are not safe on our play equipment!
- Shorts and skirts cannot be longer than the knee and must not be higher than 3 inches above the knee.
- FIELD TRIP DAYS
- All students going on a field trip must wear a red top with a blue bottom (any of the approved styles.)
- No Undergarments may show.
- Undershirts MUST match the polo being worn or be white. No long-sleeved undershirts allowed.
- 4th-6th graders must have their shirt tucked in at all times
- Oxford shirts / uniform blouses must be tucked in for all grades (only exception: Dennis uniform girls length sleeve over blouse).
- When girls are wearing uniform jumpers, skirts or dresses they MUST wear either the appropriate tights OR red, navy blue, or black spandex shorts underneath!
- Tights must be white or they may match shirt/ bottoms being worn.
- Challenge does not celebrate Halloween. No costumes, colored hair, socks, etc.
- Teachers may make adjustments in uniform appearance (remove jackets, etc.) to assist students with compliance and for special school events. Students not in proper uniform will not be able to participate or perform in the SOM assemblies/special school events.
- A staff member will confiscate &/or remove any accessory or personal item that becomes a distraction in the classroom.
- Any designs on accessories must be school appropriate as defined by CCS Administration.
- Clothing worn on non-uniform days, such as Fall & Spring Picture
Day, dress-down days, or theme days must still be school
appropriate: No bare midriffs, no bottoms more than 3 inches above
the knee, no profanity or inappropriate designs on clothing, and not
more than one size larger than the student.
- Theme days will be periodically announced. Theme days provide students with an opportunity to dress up for a selected Theme.
- Non-uniform days will be periodically allowed for various reasons.
- Fall & Spring Picture Day is a dress up day NOT a free day.
- Students not participating in theme days or not having their picture taken must wear their uniforms.
- Shoes are not visible in either spring or fall photos. Please ensure that students wear a uniform approved safe shoe.
- Group class pictures WILL be in uniforms. (These are taken on a separate day from the individual portraits.)
- Expensive and/or excessive jewelry is not acceptable at school. (No large chains, bangles, etc.) Necklaces must be tucked under shirts. The school does not accept any responsibility for jewelry (or other personal items brought to school) and may confiscate it if it becomes a distraction.
- All hairstyles should be moderate, clean, combed, and away from the students eyes for both boys and girls. Only natural hair colors/dyes will be permitted. Boys hair length should be above the chin, never long enough to brush the collar, and well kept. Mohawks are not permitted.
- Clothing cannot be excessively faded nor have holes. Patches need to be the color of the pants.
- No matter the grade level, in case of accidents it is
recommended that parents send one complete set of clothing (marked
with students name) to be kept in the classroom or their childs
- To get full wear/use out of uniform purchases, remember to rotate the clothing you have sent in for this purpose. Dont forget to change it out every few weeks so it wont go unworn during the year.
- If your child has a need to change his/her clothes due to accident (including but not limited to: bloody nose, falling/slipping in mud/wet playground, urination or defecation, menstrual, vomiting) and does not have an extra set of clothes on campus you will be called to pick up your child or to bring a new change of clothing to school.
- A student who has any type of accident that requires a change of clothing will not be permitted to return to class until their clothing has been changed.
Socks, tights, shoes, winter wear, and accessories are available at Dennis for your shopping convenience; however they may be purchased elsewhere as long as they meet the following guidelines:
- Socks or tights must be worn at all times and must be visible above any uniform shoe. This would mean that even while folded over, socks will be approximately 3 to 4 inches above the top of the ankle. Teachers will NOT measure, if there is a question- the sock will be written up. SOCKS DO COUNT! This requirement is enforced.
- Socks & tights MUST be plain NO designs or logos!
- The color of socks and/or tights must be white or they may match shirt/ bottoms being worn. For example: red socks and/or tights with a red shirt, navy socks and/or tights with a navy bottom, etc.
- If there is lace on a sock, it must be the same color as the socks themselves or Marymount Plaid.
- Closed toed and heel shoes only (appropriate for P.E. and play time).
- All logos/designs on shoes must be school appropriate as defined by CCS Administration.
- NO heels, wheels nor platforms, sandals, CROCS, or jelly shoes of any kind and NO dress shoes.
- Boots are O.K. ONLY if they lace up (six holes or less/no high-tops), and are appropriate for P.E. or playground, such as hiking & indoor/outdoor boots. NO fashion boots with zippers, heels, etc.
- Shoelaces must be plain and match shoes and each other. No flashy colors, fabrics, or designs acceptable. Fat shoelaces are not allowed.
- Shoelaces must always be tied tightly, not tucked!
- Any shoe with a slick bottom or that does not secure the childs foot is unsafe for the playground and is not accepted.
- Students in inappropriate shoes will be excluded from P.E. and recess for their own safety.
Inside the classroom:
- Sweaters and PLAIN sweatshirts may be worn over a uniform shirt with collar out. They must be solid in color and be White, Red or Navy Blue. As with all uniform clothing, they may NOT be more than one size larger than the student. Solid, uniform colored (white, red, or navy blue) Cardigan style sweaters are okay over a uniform shirt.
Outside the classroom:
- As the weather dictates ANY style of coat or jacket may be worn for recess, P.E., etc, not in assemblies or the classroom. As with all uniform clothing, they may NOT be more than one size larger than the student and all logos/designs must be school appropriate as defined by CCS Administration.
- Belts are NOT mandatory for any grade. If they are worn, they must be plain and should be black or brown. Also, a plain blue belt may be worn with blue bottoms and a plain khaki belt may be worn with khaki bottoms. Belts cannot have studs, holes, ornate buckles, logos, initials, etc. No chains on belts or wallets.
- No HATS, CAPS, and/or SUNGLASSES may be worn in the classroom at any time. Hats, caps, and/or sunglasses may be worn when students are outside of the classroom i.e. at recess or on an outdoor field trip, not during assemblies.
- Bandanas (including hair bandanas) are not allowed on campus.
- No tattoos of any kind. (even temp. ones must be covered)
- No body piercings! The only exception is the lower ear lobe for use of earrings. All earrings must be studs or very small hoops that hug the earlobe. This eliminates the potential of physical injury while at school.
- Makeup is not an allowable accessory.